Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mel On...Rock'N'Roll Madrid Half Marathon

After getting over my pity party the other day and finally being able to stomach something besides bananas and chamomile tea, we left for Madrid on Friday.  I still wasn't feeling 100% but the excitement of traveling to a new place, the whole race atmosphere (and maybe a few pitchers of Sangria), finally qualifying for my World Rocker Medal, and my husband convincing me (in his own loving way) to "put my big girl panties on," I snapped out of it!



The Expo was huge and everyone was super nice.  My daughter thought it was the coolest thing in the world, especially seeing all the PINK running gear options (gah, that girl).  She told me for her 12th birthday she wanted to go on a girl's weekend to a race and run nine miles and get a medal and wear make-up without her Daddy knowing and to rock some girl power.  O.M.G. I love her.



The race itself was fun and well-organized, at least I thought so.  There was a horrendous line for the porta-potties and they were in less-than-optimal condition but that goes with the territory.  The bands were awesome and there were supporters lining pretty much the whole course.  I didn't have my phone to take pictures but I was able to snap a few with an old camera I stuffed in my shirt (I gotta have my pics).

The starting line was at the Palace de Cibeles, about a 20 minute walk from our hotel.  I was worried I would get lost trying to find it but I just followed the line of runners once I got outside.  I had just enough time to get there, take some quick photos in the square and pee one last time before corralling up!


The course was awesome...albeit a lot more HILLY than I anticipated.  My knee didn't appreciate that one too much.  I was scared when we hit the first water stop that I had made a mistake not bringing my hydration belt because the first four tables were out of water already (I kept replaying Athens in my head).  However, they opened up a new side a few meters down with plenty of water...whew!  All the other stops were stocked with all the essentials (water, Powerade, bananas, gels, etc.) and the volunteers were amazing. They really do make the difference between a good race and a bad one!

(pics from race website)

The course passed through downtown Madrid and the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium (home of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol - which we were able to tour the day before) and was absolutely GORGEOUS! The weather was sunny but chilly, a.k.a. the perfect weather for running, and the runners I met were all so kind and encouraging!

1.  They didn't laugh at me when I was fiddling with my iPod and tumbled into a barrier and rolled.  Yes, that happened.  No comments, Mother. 
2.  On the last big hill, around mile 12, I was really feeling it.  My knee was burning and my whole leg was feeling tight.  I started to walk and a woman passing me touched my shoulder and politely waved for me to come with her and told me I could do it. She had been keeping up with me the past few miles and wanted me to keep up with her now.  A complete stranger.  It was one of those moments that I will never forget. ANOTHER REASON I LOVE RUNNING!

The course ended in Retiro Park.  My husband and kids were able to score a spot along the finish shoot and I was able to run off course to see them and get my good-luck kisses from my kiddos before the last quarter mile stretch.  I was soooo happy to see them, it was just the push I needed to make it to the end...


I ended up finishing in 2:17:17, a new PR!  It's not the 2:15 I wanted but I think my Aunt Sandy would have been proud of me. I shaved over 4 1/2 minutes off my last PR and fell down doing it in true Hoff fashion!  I also finally earned my World Rocker Medal!


I'd love to say I have another one in the books but I am heeding the advice of my doctor and laying low on this knee for awhile...even if I don't get another race in before we leave Europe, I'll take this one as the perfect send-off!  #RockEurope 

1 comment:

  1. Soooo proud of you and I know your aunt Sandy would be also. You rock, the pictures are awesome. Glad to hear you are going to give that knee a rest and let your body heal. (y)

    ReplyDelete