Monday, April 7, 2014

Mel On...Strong Butt, Weak Hamstrings

That is basically what my physical therapist told me today.  (Yes, mother...I finally kept an appointment for my knee).  He warned me that I could be angering my meniscus and that I still have some swelling but the good news was that we weren't at a damage control stage yet.  He wants to work on more preventative/strengthening measures (to include R-E-S-T) but, he did give me the go ahead to continue training for Madrid (like that was going to stop me).



Speaking of which, when he was going through my medical history from my primary doctor he starting laughing..."Um, what is so funny?"  Apparently, my doctor added the little annotation "Patient is ADAMANT ABOUT RUNNING."  He laughed because my doctor usually doesn't use all caps. Well, played.  Well, played. Then, he said my doctor was an excellent diagnostician and he thought very highly of him.  Crap, maybe I shouldn't have said the man tries to get me to quit running every time I see him...

Seeing as how the physical therapist now knew my tricks (but this one is a runner himself), he told me that he wouldn't stop me from running Madrid but would like for me to not sign up for another half for at least another month or so to see where we are going.  He told me I didn't have to stop running all together but would like me to take at least a week of rest afterwards and then come down from running 5 days a week to 3 and add a day or two of elliptical and swimming to keep up cardiovascular conditioning.  He also gave me some hamstring stretches and exercises to work on to help the muscle imbalances I have going on.  I think I can do the elliptical no problems but laps at the pool will be quite interesting seeing as how my experience level with swimming is solely focused on not drowning (a.k.a. the doggy paddle).

So, there we are with that.  I still feel the pain after long runs or speed/hill work. It doesn't necessarily hurt to bend with walking or going up the stairs, etc. and I don't notice it as badly on my rest/easy days but it always comes back with the harder runs.  It's the sharpest when I bend the knee like I'm going to criss-cross my legs.  THAT is the one position where it really hurts the most.  Second, is when I go to extend it after having it criss-crossed.  It's like the leg is going out in slow-motion.

Anyway, 19 more days (less than that if you add the taper) so I should be good.  I'm really excited about it now that we finally purchased plane tickets (and they aren't rioting in the streets anymore).  All kidding aside, I want a PR in this race so badly because I am running it in memory of my Aunt Sandy.  I want to run this one for her and then I will take a break for me.  Under 2:15, that is my goal.

Now...I have some stretching to do...

Madrid in 19 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment