Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Mel On...Mind Games

Well, today I had a 5 mile run scheduled ON THE DREADMILL.  Yes, the dreadmill.  And here is the kicker...I did it on purpose.  ON PURPOSE.  And, if you can believe it...I actually didn't mind the fact that I was on the dreadmill!
Testing out the new shoes!



I don't know if it was because I was coming off a rest day and it was such a short run or because I was sporting my new shoes or because I was incorporating some new mind games or a combination of all of the above.  Whatever it was, it worked.

If you know me, then you know I hate-despise-loathe-detest the dreadmill.  Nothing about it makes me happy.  Nothing.  I don't care if I am running 10 miles or 10 feet on the thing.  It sucks.  SUCKS I SAY.  But, I have been reading this new book and it wants me to practice mind games to help keep me going and pass the time away during the marathon, so I'm trying a few of them out.

One of the techniques is to say "but it doesn't matter" after every excuse:

  • It's too early to do this...but it doesn't matter.
  • My schedule is really hectic today...but it doesn't matter.
  • I am tired and it is cold....but it doesn't matter.
  • I look like a scuba diver with this stupid Camelbak on (hello, Monday)...but it doesn't matter.
  • I HATE the dreadmill...but it doesn't matter.
And so on, and so forth. Another is to invite your excuses to come run with you. "Oh, here you are pain...come run with me."  Today I incorporated that into the "visualizations" they also want you do practice.  Basically, to keep your mind engaged (and apparently away from all the pain and torture you will be enduring though this event) you practice visualizing different scenes as the marathoner you are. I picked a location, a few landmarks, and some random people and "invited" them to come run with me.  
I am running through the streets of London.  I pass an iconic red telephone booth.  There is a couple holding each other in front of it.  She has long, blonde hair, fair skin, a black jacket, and brown riding boots.  I really like her boots.  He is tall, has sandy hair, dark jeans, and a collared shirt under his sweater.  They look at me as I run by them.  Come run with me.  And, they do.
 We are running through the streets of London.  We pass over the London Bridge.  We head to Kensington Palace.  Oh, look.  William and Princess Kate are at the Orangery having tea.  Little George is playing with a spoon.  How cute.  He looks up and squeals.  They smile and wave their royal waves.  Come run with me.  And, they do.
We are running through the streets of London.  We pass by Buckingham Palace.  It's time for the changing of the guards.  One spots us.  He's not supposed to, but he smiles.  The queen comes out wearing a light blue dress with a funny white hat.  She smiles too.  Come run with me.  And, they do.
 We are running the streets of London.  We pass by the Palace of Westmister.  We hear the chimes of Big Ben.  Now we are passing the London Eye.  The tube.  Picadilly Circus.  Hampton Court.  People are peering out their balconies wondering who all these people are and where they are running and who this little American girl is leading the way.  Come run with me.  And, they do.
As we get closer to the end of the race they slowly start slipping away, one by one, until I am the only one left.  I finally see the finish line and everyone is there cheering me on.  Look, there is George again! I cross it determined and happy.  I am a marathoner.
 I know it super-corny...but it doesn't matter...it really works!  Those 5 miles went by before I could even get bitter about the fact that I was on a dreadmill in the first place.  I'll definitely be trying it out again on my next long run, that's for sure!


38 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes, 01 seconds










1 comment:

  1. Hang in ...hang on...you got this! Keep up the great work...you are awesome..You are in my prayers and thoughts daily! Have fun..enjoy...and be safe!

    ReplyDelete