Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mel On...(Trying to) Play It Smart

Sooooo....I've been wanting to do another obstacle-course-type race for a while now and I've had my eye on the Strongman Run in Luxembourg this month; however, by the time I committed myself to it mentally, I thought the race had sold out.  Then, I get a message from a fellow runner that she has a transferable spot on her team and that if I wanted it, it was mine....well, YEAH!




I was super excited about the race but when I actually looked at the calendar and saw it was only 3 weeks from Athens my conscious started getting the best of me.  That, and when I told my friend and running coach, Billy, what I was signing myself up for, his first response was, "Oh, geez, Mel...." (probably not a good sign, eh?).  

As it turned out, the date to transfer the spot had already passed, so I wouldn't have been able to take that particular spot anyway.  However, I was still a little bummed.  I really wanted to do this race.  But I gotta play it smart.  Play it smart, Mel.  How mad would I be if I committed 5 months of training and a ton of money to getting to Athens and then twist an ankle in this madness and not even be able to start?


But don't worry...come April...this race is MINE!
(Assuming I make it through November!)
MINE!


1 comment: