Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mel On...Why Blog?

Someone asked me the other day why I chose to blog about my running adventures. 

To be honest, I really didn't have a good reason.  I just started it as a means of recording my marathon journey, mainly to keep me accountable.  And, although I haven’t been doing it for very long, it is already fun to re-read all the ups-and-downs I've experienced along the way…and there are a LOT of them, lol…either that or I am suffering from an undiagnosed bipolar disorder.


It never occurred to me that other people (besides my family) actually read and follow my blog.  Then yesterday, I received this from a fellow runner:

"I enjoyed reading your blog!  You're awesome and you inspired me to push myself.  Thanks!!  Sometimes, without knowing, you touch people.  God bless you and good luck on your marathon, your going to do GREAT!!!"

“You inspired me to push myself.”  That is something I say about Amanda, or Renee, or Bri.  That is not something people say about me

But it kinda makes sense to me.  I am not super-athletic, I don’t have a “runner’s body,” I was never a runner in high school/college.  I am a stay-at-home military wife and mother of two small children who up until 2 years ago hated running.  I’m an average Joe.

It’s like when I look for a fitness inspiration I go after people who used to be overweight.  Seriously, those people are more of an inspiration to me than any genetically blessed bean pole.  They had to work for what they wanted.  They had a goal and they achieved it.  They made choices and not excuses.  Those are the people I look up to.  Those are my peeps.  

I am not a genetically blessed bean pole, nor am I a genetically blessed athlete.  But I do work for it, I do try, and I do fight….and if people can relate to me, if they are my peeps – the average Joes - and this can motivate them, then that is awesome and that is what I will try to do…because “sometimes, without knowing, you touch people.”

1 comment: