Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mel On...Deep Water Running (and my love of Eleanor Roosevelt)

Every so often I wake up with a hankering for something new and I think of Eleanor Roosevelt.  I read a book of her quotes once before and she really inspired me.  The two that stuck with the me most are the ones I try to live by:





"Do one thing every day that scares you."

Well, if you know me you know I am not a fan of the water.  I don't know why, although I think it might have to do something with being in a swimsuit in public, but I don't.  So when I saw that the Health and Wellness Center was offering deep water running classes I never really thought twice about it.   Then, I get plantar fasciitis.  Crap.  Right before I am to start training for Nice.  Double crap.  So then I start thinking...maybe I should give this deep water running thing a shot...

After all, I've read about it before.  It's great for rehabilitation and impact-free training and, well, it's something new.  So I signed up for a Tuesday class and BAM I can check that off my bucket-list.  Thanks, Eleanor!

The class was really great.  It took me a few laps to get used to being in the water and I had to really concentrate on keeping my form but it was an awesome workout!  It wasn't just jogging and sprinting in the water like I thought, we did laps of mountain climbers, push-ups, tricep dips, and arm and balance exercises. It felt like I was engaging pretty much every major muscle in my body the entire time!

I'm excited to go back.  I definitely want to sprinkle this into my training plan.  I might go back on my own just to do straight up water sprints in between my trail days to give my heels a break.  I just don't know how to calculate distance in the water....can anyone weigh in on that one??

-----------

I bet Eleanor could have...because she was awesome...

-----------
"No matter how plain a woman may be, if truth and honesty are written across her face, she will be beautiful." 
"Learn from the mistakes of others.  You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." 
"Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness."
"Great minds discuss ideas.  Average minds discuss events.  Small minds discuss people." 
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." 
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you will be criticized anyway." 
"You can often change your circumstances by changing your attitude." 
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." 
"Life is what you make it.  Always has been, always will be." 

2 comments: