Friday, December 27, 2013

Mel On...2013 Rewind



Today I found myself "running" through all the wonderful (and some not so wonderful) memories of this past year and am in a state of incredible....gratefulness....

I was able to do A LOT this year.  And, I wouldn't have been able to do a single one of them without the wonderful love and support from my family and friends.  I especially have to thank my amazing husband and children.  They dealt with the piles of laundry and dishes when I was too tired to come home from a 4 hr. run and do them; they waited for HOURS as I ran or as I trained; they iced my feet and kneecaps when I needed it; they brought me Aspirin and water when I was too sore to walk up/down the stairs; they lived with the family vacations centered around running events; they clapped and cheered and gave me the biggest hugs and kisses a girl could ask for at the cross of each finish line; they supported every race, every run, and every training mile...they are, well...they are THE BEST.

Because of their love, support and encouragement, I was able to do something I never thought I would be able to do.  I was able to PR in every distance I raced this year...
1 Mile ~ 8:41  
5K ~ 28:11  
7K ~ 43:21 
7600 m ~ 44:51 
Half Marathon ~ 2:22:22 
Marathon ~ 6:09:03  
That is a first for me!  But this year came with a lot of firsts, each one special to my heart. None, however, can compete with crossing the finish line of my first marathon.  That is a moment of a lifetime and one I will never forget!

With the good comes the bad, I guess. I will also never forget being attacked my a German Shepard and a flock of geese...that also happened this year (thankfully on separate occasions - that would have been weird).  But, a memory is still a memory and I'll take as many as I can get.

I will have to say I did more this year than I ever thought I could do (or, if we are being honest, ever meant to do)...and that feeling is pretty friggin' awesome.  I came a long way this year and can't wait to see how far I can go next year!

Happy Running, Ya'll!

2013 Photo Recap:

A photo from my cousin in LA comparing our runs one morning!
I forget how cold and snowy it can get here, those are some of my favorite runs though.
The same stretch 3 months later, love this loop!


Running the 2nd Annual Zac Cuddeback Memorial 5K with my cousin(s)!

The dog bite...and the reason why I now run with mace...

ING Luxembourg Half Marathon,  my first night race!

My little nephew is the only one I would share my copy of Runner's World with!
Chick-Fil-A 5K, Perry, GA, the first race my family stateside was able to come to,
the first race my kids saw me cross the finish line, and the first time I was able to run sub 30 in a 5K!

My son crossing the finish line with me during the Chick-Fil-A 5K!

Relaxing after a morning run on our cruise ship, somewhere in the Baltic Sea! 
Shock-n-Rock Reloaded, my first obstacle/mud run!
Running with my girl!
PR'ing, reaching my goal, and raising money for a good cause at the RAB Half Marathon
My first beer run!
THOSE DARN GEESE!

First V02 Max test
The long runs!
The blisters!
The new shoes!
The cross-training hikes!
The hill repeats!
My first 7K and first torch run!
First 7600 m through a Christmas market!
Hitting my 750th mile for the year!
..and my favorite yet...MY FIRST MARATHON!

Lets DO THIS 2014!



2 comments:

  1. You are awesome and as your mother I am so proud of you. I am thankful God has blessed you in so many ways,your blessings are in turn a blessing to me, as your mother, to see you happy and fulfilling your dreams. I pray God will continue to bless you with the strength, vision, and wisdom to follow your dreams and to do His will in your life. You have such a loving and beautiful heart. I love you!

    ReplyDelete