Monday, February 24, 2014

Mel On...10-Miler (including HILLS)

I started today off without a game plan.  I just knew I wanted to run 10 miles and include some hill work but that is about it.  The weather was absolutely GORGEOUS and I couldn't wait to get out there!


Since I wasn't sure what route I wanted to take I thought I'd just let "the route take me."  I ended up going up "THE HILL" and doing a 2-mile loop (uphill 1 mile, downhill 1 mile).  Seeing as how I rock on the downhill (key word: downhill), I thought I would go back up one more time...



It was a lot easier the first time around, let me tell you!  I thought I was going to have to crawl up the last few feet but then I made it to the top just as Sir Mix-A-Lot was wanting me to "shake that healthy butt"...and, of course, I did.  Nothing like some booty pops with a view like that!

Victory!

The next few miles were easy peasy.  I was feeling good and doing pretty well on time...that is until I ran into a couple of German women with a dog.  As soon as I saw the dog off the leash I stopped and started walking.  They were like "it's okay, it's okay" but I didn't want a repeat of last year!  Then they go and warn me that there "may be a big, black dog up ahead but it's okay because it's friendly."  I ended up spending the next 4 miles of that trail worried about the darn dog and running faster than I intended to get back off it!

(This is my favorite part of this trail, it's in the middle of a nice, long downhill stretch
and is right where you can begin hearing the creek down below!)

 Oh, and this was the trail I got lost, ahem, "misdirected" on a few weeks back.  Seeing as how it also included several hills (although, this time long and gradual instead of steep and mean), I was about hilled out.  I decided to do the last couple miles through the fields and it took me all I could do to make it back home to my doorstep.  I totally underestimated the need for fuel and water on a run like that!



Once I got home I downed some water, had some lunch, and then stretched, stretched, stretched!  I feel great now, no aches or pains, hopefully that lasts cause I have some training to do...

Madrid in 61 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes!

1 comment: