Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mel On...Training Update (and another new trail!)

Last week was a very rough week for me.  My body and I have not been the best of friends here lately and I think it's because I've been pretty mean to the ole' gal.  The past month I've been doing anywhere from 15-18 miles a week plus 4-5 hrs. of cross-training. Last week I put in 21 miles and 6.5 hrs of cross-training and slipped on a trail and busted up my right side/hip.  Needless to say, my body noticed...

I've been trying to be "nicer" (i.e., getting more rest, stretching/foam rolling more, doing some yoga/deep breathing routines, visiting the aqua-massager, etc.) but it would just be easier if my body just did what I wanted without talking back.  Seriously, she's a B.

Anyway, today is Tuesday and Tuesdays are my solo-run and kickboxing days.  I really enjoy being able to get in a few miles of "me" time before Renee gets a hold of me and tries to make me cry.  Today was especially nice because I found a new trail that very conveniently loops back into the other trail I found a few weeks ago.  I was able to make a 5-mile loop (well, 4 miles of real running and a mile of stopping for darn intersections) ending back at the MMA gym.

The terrain is nice too because it goes from sidewalk to dirt to grass so you get a good mix of possible ankle twisters and it is full of wildlife that will jump out at you and keep your heart in check (a few deer rustling in the bushes may or may not have almost made me pee my pants).  I really like it though, and I can't wait to see what else I can find out there next week!

Check out the pics:


(Didn't go down this one, saving it for next week!)





(The same stretch of road I slipped on last week,
black ice is NO JOKE)


(Right before the deer jumped out and ran into the field)




(Ok, this part was a little creepy, not going to lie)

P.S. --  I get very paranoid running by myself on new trails so I always whip out my camera every mile or so to take a pic of where I am so (1) I don't get lost and (2) if someone kidnaps me the CSI guys can pull that jazz up off the cloud and find my butt.  

Plus, I like the memories!

1 comment: