Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mel On...Rock-n-Roll 10 Miles du Carnaval

Well...that was amazing!  I came no where near my time goal but after last night that flew out the window anyway!


I did okay the first couple miles with the adrenaline pumping (around a 9:20 pace), which was faster than what I was aiming for, however, each step felt like I was raking my feet along hot coals they burned so bad! That, coupled with the fact I only had four hours sleep, my legs were still sore from yesterday, and my bag ripped on the way to the race and MY CAMERA BROKE before I could take a single photo, really did not make for a happy Melanie.


I was really getting bummed out so when I ran into my friend, Amanda, who was also having a rough go at it we decided to to say screw it and held up the back of the pack.  There was NO WAY I was going to be bummed about running a race along the coast of the FRENCH RIVIERA during CARNAVAL on VALENTINE'S DAY weekend.  I mean, come on!




The weather was perfect (the only time it was not rainy or foggy the whole weekend), the scenery was absolutely gorgeous, the costumes were hilarious, the bands rocked, my family was able to meet up with me on the course, a random little girl came up and hugged me (a.k.a. "Snow White") while at a water stop, I saw friends and familiar faces from Germany throughout the event, my kids covered me with confetti at the finish line...THESE are memories of a lifetime!  THIS is what it is about!

Starting line!

Lining up!
"Rocking" with Jeannette pre-race!


These guys were singing Beatles hits in their yellow submarine!
Views of the race from our hotel room...





My family cheering us on from our window!
"Hi, guys!"







The bands and costumes were out of control!







The kids (and I) were so excited to see people they knew throughout the race!
 I "ran" into several people I knew from Germany on the course that I didn't
know would be there.  It really is a small world!

This guy jumped off the course and sprayed the kids with silly string!
Jack thought it was hilarious!


"HI, MOM!"
One word:  AMAZING



Luigi found Mario!

"Can we go with you?!"

Catching up to Mario...he said he wanted to "finish"
the race with me (thinking the arch up ahead was the finishing line)




I can't wait until we can do this "for real!"
Sprinting to "the finish!"
High-fives!



Bahahaha!

I NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE THIS SPOT!
The band, the music, the view..AMAZING!



My super-supporters!
Cleopatra got out of her wheel chair at the finishing shoot and walked across the finish line!
Her friends bowed to her as she walked across!  AWESOME!


We're coming! 




Finished! 

Confetti = an arm
Silly string = a leg
Being covered by your kids at the finish line = PRICELESS


They had to get Mrs. Jeannette and Mrs. Jodi too! 

They were so proud of Mom, even though she "didn't win!"
...AND...victory dance!

Now, yes, I would have loved to have experienced all these thing AND have met my time goal.  But, things happen...I went from wanting to make a good time to wanting to have a good time...and I did!

"The [race] never ceases to be a race of joy, a race of wonder.  Even when disaster strikes, when bad weather overwhelms you, when an intemperate pace results in a staggering finish, when nerves and anxiety stand in the way of you giving your maximum effort, when your number one rival soundly thrashes you, when weeks of training appear to have gone down the drain with little more than an ugly slurping sound, there remains something memorable about each [race] run."  ~ Hal Higdon


Click HERE for official race photos!

2 comments:

  1. ohhhhh my goodness!! I HAVE to do that next year! GOOD for you! So much fun and what great memories you are giving your kids! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete