Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mel On...Gettin' Motivated

Today I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" in an attempt to get motivated for the 15-miler I have coming up tomorrow...and that whole marathon thing I signed up for in less than 2 months...

"The first ever feature-length film to capture the essence, drama and unique spectacle of the famed 26.2-mile race, the production features five runners - three amateurs and two elites - as they train for and ultimately run the Chicago Marathon."

"It's not about competing in a marathon; it's about completing a marathon..."


"Running a marathon is a lot like life. Yes, you will handle hiccups and bumps in the road, but it's how you get through them..."


"When you cross that finish line, it will change your life forever..."


"There is something to be said for running in the footprints of the elite..."


"...AND ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO DO..."


Now, had this just been an audio tape I would have been golden.  GOLDEN.  However, I will never unsee the look of pure fear and uncertainty as those runners took the line for the start of that race.  Never.

Yes, they completed the marathon.  Yes, they were happy.  Yes, they would do it again.  Yes, it was happily ever after.  However, I have not crossed the finish line.  I have not completed the race.  I have not hit that high.  I'm still just looking at the start.  And all I can do is relate to that fear and uncertainty. Can I do this?!  CAN I REALLY DO THIS?!  

My little old heart still screams yes.  However, my head and knee caps are leaning in the other direction...#gotta get my mind right!


3 comments:

  1. There is nothing you have ever put your mind and heart into that you have not completed! You got this!!! If this is what you truly want to do God will give you the strength and courage when you need it... so fear not....be positive...if anyone can tackle a goal that takes determination and stubbornness its you! And I say that with LOVE! You go baby girl...Stay positive. You are readier than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Of course you can do this!!! Just remember how many people are supporting you, and - most importantly - the two little ones who are looking up to you and watching your every move. You are setting such a good example for health, fitness, and dedication for your kids. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the support! It means more than you know!

    ReplyDelete