Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mel On...The 15 Miler

Well, it happened.  The dreaded 15-miler was yesterday.  And you know what?  It wasn't that bad!



I say this not because it is my rest day (and we all know how I love rest days) or because I spent close to an hour in the aqua-massager (which was marvelous, by the way) but because it was...well...fun.

I love "firsts" and this was my first time running that far at one time in my entire life...and I did it!  I didn't think I would be able to finish (especially since I freaked myself out on Sunday) but I did it.  I. DID. IT.

It was also the first time I popped a squat behind a hay bale (hey, when ya gotta go, you gotta go).   

And, it was also my first time running for 3:01:14 seconds in the rain. Ok, I lie, I got maybe 15 min. reprieve around mile 4 and another 15 min. around mile 11. But you get the picture:




The rain is a funny subject, because on the day of the run I DID NOT WANT TO RUN IN THE RAIN. I was looking for every excuse in the book to get out of running in that weather.  Fortunately, I was meeting other runners from my running group to run the first 5 miles with.  I was so scared no one would show up because I would have tried to hit the gym.  And I know good and well that there is NO WAY I could do 3 hours on a dreadmill.  I did 2 hours once and I wanted to drown myself in the sink.  Not happening. So I was thankful that one girl showed up to make me get out there.  Besides, I'm a frequent hand-washer...I'll take my chances of getting sick if I can get this long run behind me!

And after the first mile or so out there, I really didn't mind the rain so much.  It was kinda fun!  Like I was rebelling against nature.  Although I will have to admit, I do need some proper rain gear.  I was SOAKED by the end and I'm pretty sure there is still water in my shoes...

Anyway, everything else about the run went well (expect mile 9).  I had my method of attack planned out so I was prepared.  I would do the 4.6 loop 3 times then run the extra mile or so to make it 15.  The first loop went by before I knew it thanks to good conversation (gotta love running buddies).  The second loop I was on a mission since I lost my beanie the first time around.  However, by mile 9 I was spent.  I needed a Gatorade and a Gu and a hot shower.  But I was determined.

By 9.5 I officially hit "the wall."  Hard.  And, the rain had already started again.  Hard.  And, I was going uphill.  Hard. (and woe is me, yadda, yadda, yadda).  But eventually, I got to the top, my energy kicked up, and the rain was just a drizzle.  The next 5.5 miles weren't cake but they weren't bad either.

Break in the rain, LOVE these trails.

I did start my 2 mile stretch breaks after the first loop to practice for marathon day (I'll run 5 then walk a few minutes to stretch and hydrate every 2 miles after that).  I'm hoping this will keep me from bottoming out too early the day of the race.  It seemed to help yesterday.  I was stiff by the time I finished but I wasn't sore during or afterwards (which was really surprising!).  I popped a Motrin when I got home since I didn't have time to ice my knee but it never really bothered me much...and I'll take an ending like that any day!

So, all-in-all, a good day, a good run, a good memory...and I get to chalk up another 15 miles for the Million Mile Run....Maybe I CAN do this?!











..............................................................................................................
Today

Me:  Don't forget the Pumpkin Festival is Sat. afternoon.

Him:  Aren't you doing a half on Sat.?  You are going to run a half marathon and then go to a pumpkin festival?

Me:  Well, yes.  I ran 15 yesterday and was fine...

Him:  Wait...you ran 15 miles yesterday...

THAT LOOK.  Confused and impressed at the same time.  (Maybe I should have been offended...but it is me we are talking about, lol!)  I DID IT!

1 comment:

  1. YOU! ;) Take care of that knee sweetie, if you blow the knee you can't run at all. I'm in this new "I'm not gonna worry stage" and you are testing my will power. :D

    You can do this, just be smart about it please! A mama never stops worrying....

    ReplyDelete