Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mel On...RAB Half Marathon

Like I said, yesterday was the Ramstein Half Marathon.  I went into it thinking I would use it as a good training opportunity for the full and raise money for the Million Mile Run while doing it.  I wasn't going to focus on speed because I had already run a long-run that week.  However, after talking to my friend Billy, Kadin's dad and an amazing friend and running coach, I decided I was going to change that plan!

After giving me some much-needed training advice, Billy told me that he was sponsoring me for the Million Mile Run at $2 per mile.  Kadin's favorite number.  So that was it...I was going to try to finish in 2:22!


The morning started off a little hectic.  We were woken up at 4:58 a.m. with a phone call and once I am up, I am up, and can't go back to sleep.  My husband fell right back into snoreville.  Not going to get upset.  Then, the kids woke up CRANKY.  My daughter pitched at least 3 fits in a matter of 15 minutes.  Not going to get upset.  Then, my husband woke up CRANKY.  Not going to get upset.  Then, I went outside to check the weather and it is foggy and freezing.  Not going to get upset.  THEN, my car wouldn't start.  Not going to get upset.  Not going to get upset.  NOT GOING TO GET UPSET!

Although I tried very hard, I guess I got upset.  The run was not fun.  The highlight was seeing the my husband and kids outside of Burger King...but that was around mile 2...and it really just made me want a cup of coffee and a ham, egg, and cheese croissant.  But I had 11 miles left...


I tried different mental strategies:  focusing on form and breathing, focusing on other runner's form and breathing, spotting people out as pacers or passers, getting into my music, turning my music off, etc., etc., etc.  Then, I had to pee and that just upset me more because I was worried about time and porta-potties are GROSS.  Then, I lost the girl I was using as a pacer and couldn't catch back up.  Then, my knee starting hurting.  Then, my Garmin watch reset...

THAT WAS IT.  I can handle a lot, but I can't handle my Garmin playing tricks on me.  It's not okay.  I am not electronically inclined.  I know how to connect my heart rate monitor, get to training, select workout, adjust my distance, and do workout.  Simple.  Then the bastard goes and resets on me at mile 8! ARG!!!  I couldn't get it back to continue the same workout and then the mileage was all off because I hit the wrong button and I couldn't tell how far or fast I was going.  I know I should be able to use my body to judge these things but I can't. And I have a goal of going 1,000 miles in 1 year...so I really need to count every step....breathe...

After that I was mentally out.  I was preparing myself for defeat.  Even if I didn't make it in my time goal, I still reached my overall goal, and, that was to finish the race, count the mileage, and raise money for an amazing cause.  Then, I rounded the corner and the whole race changed.  I spotted my kids and they came running to me, so happy and proud.  


They ran with me up to the finish line...


Then, I saw the time...I WAS AHEAD!  

Waiting for our time to cross the finish together
So then my kids went from being happy and proud to me being happy and proud.  My son did not understand..."but Mom, you let all those people pass you...now you are going to lose?!"  I tried to explain to him that in a race like this, everyone wins, not just the person who crosses the finish line first.  I raised a lot of money.  I finished.  I ran a personal best.  I got my 2:22.  I won.


It might not have been a good run...but it was a good race.



5 comments:

  1. You got your 2:22!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome friend! So proud and happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!! I've ran 3 marathons with Team in Training, ran the Goofy Challenge, qualified for the Boston, and ran the Air Force Marathon, but the one race I'll remember for the rest of my life is this one. You have a heart the size of Texas Mel! Please give your parents a big hug from me for raising an amazing woman. Give John and the kids my love for supporting you in this crazy "hobby" called running. Thank you for running in memory of Kadin and I hope we can run a race together when you guys get back to the States, while John and Emily babysit. :-) Love ya girl! Great job!

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are Awesome! You stayed the course when you could have given in/up at any point...therefore you WIN!!!! I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone! I definitely had help from a little man up above for this one :) And Billy, I am taking you up on that offer...we will be stateside in 12 months!

    ReplyDelete