Friday, March 28, 2014

Mel On...Didn't See That One Coming

This week has been a little hectic.  We've had craziness going on on the home front and a lot of things have been weighing on my little old mind.  I was reviewing my training logs and this past month was nothing but 7's and 8's on my "head" and "heart" scale.  "Legs" and "lungs" were ranging from 7's to 9's (minus the pain in my left leg, THAT is still happening).  I just haven't been feeling into it and I have gotten myself into a little funk.  

Well, well, well....what better to get out of a funk than to a) hit autopilot on a 10 mile solo run b) buy new running shoes, c) hit up a new trail with an old friend, and d) treat yourself to some FemFusion Fitness and then a lady's lunch!

It started with my 10 miler.  I was not expecting to run that far.  It was actually a stretch/strengthen day but I wasn't going to be able to get in the 4 miles I had scheduled for the next day so I had to switch some things around.  Anyway, I ended up hitting 6 miles before I realized I had even gone over.  I was just "in the zone."  My head was thinking of a gazillion different things (especially about the nice, hot cup of coffee in my thermos at the car) but it was like my legs were detached from the rest of my body.  I was giving myself every reason in the world to head back but my legs wouldn't listen.  I just couldn't stop running!  It is one of the best feelings in the world, I swear.  THAT feeling. THAT is what I hope to hit every time I lace up my running shoes!

Speaking of shoes, I am loving my new blue shoes!  I don't know if it's psychological or not (no comments necessary) but my feet feel better in them and my leg hasn't been bothering me as much...WIN!  There is just something about a new pair of running shoes that spells potential.  Think about it, they are probably going to see you through some of your best times (hello, PR) and they will probably be the first thing your throw after you come home from your worst runs all smelly, cranky and tired.  (I've warned you before that I may be a little dramatic).

My first run in them I ran an easy 3 miles and they felt great.  I took them out the next day for a 6 mile tempo run and I felt like I was flying.  In fact, for me I was!  I came home and looked at my stats and we had hit our first two miles at an 8:51 and 8:47 pace, then we hit speed/jog/walk sessions and still kept the overall pace at 10:26!  Woot.

I should have taken it easier this week.  I only planned on doing 9 miles and I am at 19 before the half...oops.  Oh well, treating this one as a training run anyways.  No time goal, which is a weird feeling but there will be wine involved so I will shake that weird feeling with a slightly buzzed feeling :)

Now for another glass of wine...strictly for training purposes.


Madrid in 29 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes!!!


1 comment: