Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mel On...New Shoes (new very bright blue shoes)

Well, I finally broke down and got me some new running shoes.  Let's just say you will be hard-pressed not to see me coming in these bad boys...man, are they blue!



They are also 10x more comfortable than my old running shoes and are way less "restricting."  I've had a hard time with running shoes.  The very first pair I bought were Asics but they made me feel like my feet were lopsided when I ran and I couldn't go very far in them without something hurting (but, then again, I was just starting out running and EVERYTHING hurt).  I tried a new pair of Asics but I was still having problems with them and was now having hip pain.


Next up was a pair of Brooks (Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11).  These shoes seemed to feel okay but I was wearing the wrong size shoe (as seen by the toe popping out the side).  I tried to buy the same pair but they already had a new model out and I didn't feel like hassling with the Internet to try and hunt one down.



I ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13.  They were heavy and restricting but cushioned my feet and "that is what you want when you are training for a marathon."  Noooooo, that is what people think I want. I want a lightweight minimalist shoe...but what do I know?  So I get them and end up putting over 500 miles in them, get plantar fasciitis, and am now having problems in the back of my left leg...but I did complete my marathon and that is something!


Everyone (a.k.a. the gait analysis report and shoe store employees) keeps telling me I need stability and motion controlled shoes.  I don't want stability and motion controlled shoes.  I have a normal arch with a mid-foot strike and I want to make the transition to a more natural shoe.  I know I can't go cold turkey from a super-cushioned stabilizing shoe to a shoe with zero drop and no cushion without asking for an injury so I got a less stabilizing/cushioned shoe to make the transition (that, and I don't want anything to mess up Madrid...speaking of which, that country better get itself under control before the end of April). 


Anyway, here I am with a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's.  Despite the fact that they are a blinding, bright blue I think I will like them.  They have plenty of room in the toe box, are snug in the areas I like to be snug, are much lighter than my old shoes, and just feel "good."  But, then again, all new shoes feel good until you put a few miles on them....I guess I better get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment