Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mel On...Runner's World Just Gets Me (Chicken-Quinoa Soup)

If I haven't said it before, I will say it now....I LOVE MY RUNNER'S WORLD COOKBOOK.  Like, for realz.


Yesterday was kinda icky and what is more comforting on a rainy, cold day than a big bowl of scrumptious soup after a lonely 10-miler?  Not much, my friends...not much...

Here is the recipe; however, I threw my own twists into it (mainly to use up ingredients I had leftover in my fridge).  I only added 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa into it instead of the 3/4 cup uncooked it calls for.  I also only used one chicken breast (it may or may not have been wrapped in bacon from last night's meal).


I omitted the celery but included carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, and red and orange bell pepper.  I keep a container of cooked/chopped veggies in the fridge to throw into meals quick and easy (a tip I learned over at FemFusion Fitness - holla!).

ANYWAY, I have no idea what I am using for realz and holla but whatevs, I am in a good mood and going with it.  Oh, and I added like half a bag of frozen kale because I am also on a kale kick and topped it with hot sauce for it's own little kick.  O.M.G. It was delicious...

---------------------------------------------
2 tsp. canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3/4 cup quinoa
1 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper
chopped fresh parsley (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
---------------------------------------------

To Recover Faster: Chicken Quinoa Soup
Chicken and quinoa are a dynamic duo: “Amino acids in chicken rebuild broken-down muscle tissue, while carbs in quinoa refuel your depleted gas tank,” says Sumbal, “making this optimal for recovery.” Quinoa provides magnesium, which may improve muscle strength in athletes, according to a study published last year.

Simmer This: Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil in a pot; cook 1 diced onion and 2 sliced carrots for 6 minutes. Add 1 pound thinly sliced boneless raw chicken thighs, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 2 sliced celery stalks, and 2 minced garlic cloves; cook 5 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 cup water, 3/4 cup quinoa, 4 sprigs thyme, and salt and pepper. Boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes, till quinoa is tender. Top with parsley and hot sauce.



 What is your favorite post-run meal? 

No comments:

Post a Comment