Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mel On...My First Marathon - Part 4 (Victory Dance!)

(Be sure to check out Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 of this crazy journey!)

It was probably a good thing we had to walk a few blocks from the finish to get to a spot where we could find a taxi to get back to the hotel. I wasn't excited about walking all the way back, mainly because it meant it would take longer for me to get something to eat, but I wasn't looking forward to sitting down for very long either.  Thankfully, it wasn't a very long cab ride, and surprisingly, I wasn't sore...I was just HUNGRY...so, so, so, HUNGRY!

On the way back to the room we thought we spotted a Hard Rock Cafe...which really made me want a ginormous cheeseburger....really, really badly!  I didn't even care that we were in Greece!  But, alas, it turned out the Hard Rock was not what we thought it was.  John found a T.G.I. Friday's that was fairly close so we hailed a cab and went for it.  However, comma, the address for T.G.I Friday's turned out to be a WESTERN UNION!  ARG!!!!!  
Looking for T.G.I Fridays...darn you Google!
(It was a beautiful night in a beautiful town though...so there was that)
It was going on 5:30 p.m. (about 12 hours since I had a breakfast of bananas and a slice of peanut butter toast and then ran for 6 hours straight) and it was getting dark.  My lovely runner's high was quickly wearing off and I NEEDED FOOD.  We couldn't find a place that was either open, had a table free, or had food the kid's would eat...until we found a McDonald's...the dreaded "Big Yellow M."

Even the stray dog wasn't thrilled with McD's!
I'm not going to lie, I cried a little inside (and a little outside), when we walked into the lobby...this was not going to be my victory dance!  But, the kids were starving too, so we got them and John some food and we headed out to find me...something.  THAT IS HOW MUCH I DESPISE MCD'S.

However, at that point, a small political protest had started in main square, an outdoor concert was going on, and half of the streets were closed due to the marathon.  Needless to say, traffic was horrendous...(and I was cranky)!  We ended up having to walk halfway back to the hotel to even find a spot to get a taxi.  I was DONE at this point. I was ticked that we had spent $20 euro for a taxi to drive downtown to basically get McDonald's and I still hadn't eaten.   I needed food!



(Trying to get a pic of the protest across the street)
The kids were having fun, though!
The first thing John did when we got to the hotel was order me room service.  Then he went out and walked two more blocks to find a bakery that had baklava that was still open at 8pm.  LOVE HIM.  The kids got the iPad until John got back, then I kicked my feet up to enjoy my Greek goodness...I don't even remember falling asleep!

The best Greek salad...EVER!
He loves me!
And I love him!


...now THAT is a victory dance!


No comments:

Post a Comment