Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mel On...Post Race Recovery

One would think that if someone spends 5 MONTHS preparing and training for their first marathon they would devote at least some attention to what will happen after they cross that finish line...one would think...


The first couple days after the marathon my back started to hurt a little and my arms/abs were still a little sore but that was nothing compared to the intense pain that was still going on in the heels of my feet.  I knew I would be sore and I would be tired....I just didn't realize how sore and tired I would be...and the fact I was slowly coming down from my perch on Cloud 9 wasn't helping matters any.

Needless to say, I spent the first week post marathon on my couch.  THE WHOLE WEEK.  There was one day when my heels were so swollen that I just laid on my tummy on the couch with my feet up and cried...I'm pretty sure I told my husband to never let me sign up for another marathon again!

I know muscle pain and joint pain but this was something completely different.  My heels were ON FIRE.  They burned and they tingled and I could barely walk without wanting to cut them off at my ankles (I think I mentioned before I was a little dramatic).  Anyway, I maxed out my Motrin intake and did the whole RICE thing but it didn't do much to relieve the pain.  ARG!

I was also exhausted, physically and mentally.  I didn't have energy for anything, even going up the stairs seemed to take everything out of me and I had a headache pretty much 24/7.  I didn't want to talk or socialize with anyone, I turned my phone off, emails went unanswered, etc.  I just didn't have the energy to put any effort into anything!  And that just got me depressed because I felt like I should be out there (slowly) running again but I couldn't and I really did miss my friends!

By the end of the first week the pain had not gotten any better and I needed more Motrin so I went to the doctor.  He told me I probably had nerve damage or a tendon rupture from all the pounding my feet took during the race and that if it didn't go away by week 4 he would refer me to a podiatric surgeon....UMMMM....I DON'T THINK SO MR.....

I told this to my friend, Bri, and she told me I had the classic symptoms of plantar fascitis (which my doctor never even mentioned as a possibility).  This sounded much better, and seeing how she is a Doctor in Physical Therapy, the founder of FemFusion Fitness, and a generally awesome individual who has never steered me wrong in anything else before...I'm going with her on this one!

----------------

So, here we are 10 days after the race and my feet are still a little tingly but nothing like before.  My sunburn has gone away although I still have some extra freckles going on and tan lines on my chest, face, and ankles.  I feel fully hydrated though and no longer have headaches....woot woot!  I've also started cross training and have my first short run planned for this weekend!

I've also been reading up on post race recovery articles (such as this one and this one) that I should have read a month ago....now I know how to be prepared for the next post race period....

And, YES, there WILL be a next time!



1 comment:

  1. I'm going to remind you of the fears a mother has when their daughter takes on all this physical abuse when Maddy starts wanting to partake of things that are going to cause her pain! Mothers don't like to hear of their children in pain...even when they are married and have kids of their own...I knew something was wrong...glad you are feeling better. You are taking up a lot of my prayer time lately. ♥ I love you! :D Oh, and I'm proud of you even though, as a mother, you scare the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete