Monday, November 25, 2013

Mel On...Plantar Fasciitis

Here I am two weeks post marathon and STILL not able to run..this is so frustrating!!!

I miss my trails!
What is keeping me from my one of my favorite things? Plantar fasciitis...and IT SUCKS.

 It sucks.  Suckidy suck suck SUCKS.  My heels are on fire.  It's like there is a deep, deep ache smack dab in the middle of my heels with a burning/tingling feeling radiating around from the center...in other words, IT SUCKS!

That is my definition anyway.  But, I am in no way a medical expert...according to my understanding from those guys, there is apparently some sort of "band" that runs along the bottom of your foot that can get little rips and tears in it from a variety of things (wrong shoes, overpronation, high arches, yadda yadda yadda, running on hard surfaces, increase in mileage, stress of overuse...BINGO).  The resulting inflammation causes the persisting pain I am feeling in the heel of my foot.   That apparently takes forever to go away...

I was prescribed 800mg Motrin for the inflammation and pain but I fear I have finally become immune to my "Vitamin M" because that mess ain't working.  Other recommended treatments included icing the area three times a day (I have to be honest, it's winter here and COLD, and this has not been happening on a 3x a day basis); wearing stable shoes (check); massaging, rolling, and stretching (check, check, and check).

The pain is not as intense when I first wake up, but it definitely comes on if I am on my feet for any extended period of time.  I can barely make it through the grocery store without wanting to cry.  It is killing me to drive by my favorite running routes and see people out there...THAT SHOULD BE ME!!!

I haven't completely fallen off the training wagon though, I've been using my down time to tentatively set my racing calendar for next year, work on my training plan for the Rock-N-Roll 10 Miler and the Weinstrasse Half, catch up on the latest issues of Runner's World, and partake in some FemFusion and Amanda torture.

LOVE me some Runner's World!

I go back to the doctor in 2 more weeks if the pain hasn't subsided...here's hoping that's not necessary!

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm wasting my breath, but take the proper time to heal...everything in the proper time! I know running is important to you but if you don't heal properly then you are only increasing your chance of not getting back to running..maybe ever!

    Love you..praying for you! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete