Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mel On...Recipes for Runners (Moroccan Chicken Salad)

OMG!  You all know I love me some food.  I especially love me a good salad.  So, when I saw this recipe from FemFusion Fitness I knew I had to try it!

Brianne Grogan's Moroccan Chicken Salad
Photo courtesy of FemFusion Fitness

And let me tell you...it was amazeballs!  Hands down the best salad I have ever eaten in my entire life.  There are sooooo many yummy things going on in this salad.  Every single bite is like Christmas because you don't know which flavors you are going to get, but all the flavors work so magically well together, and OH MY GOODNESS it is GOOD!


The recipe is supposed to make three large dinner salads, but I'm not going to lie...I downed the whole bowl within 24 hrs...seriously, that good.  You can check out the recipe >>HERE<< at the FemFusion Fitness website.

I will have to say I didn't have any beets or green onions so I omitted them and substituted dried figs for the dates but it was still absolutely amazing.  And it is JAMMED PACKED with nutrient-rich goodies that are perfect for runners:

  • Almonds -- Protein, fiber, and vitamin E (antioxidants helpful for lowering cholesterol levels and protecting against cancer)
  • Sweet Potatoes -- Vitamins A & C, potassium, iron, manganese, and copper (antioxidants and minerals for healthy muscle function)
  • Mixed Salad Greens -- provides a variety of nutrients and acts as antioxidants to ward off muscle damage
  • Chicken -- Protein, niacin, and selenium (aids muscle recovery and helps rebuild muscles)
  • Cabbage -- Fiber and anthocyanins (antioxidants beneficial for brain function and reducing inflammation)
  • Ginger -- a "wonder spice" loaded with anti-inflammatory compounds helpful in reducing joint pain
  • Avocado -- Vitamins B & E, copper, and zinc (also lowers cholesterol levels and fights inflammation)
  • Honey -- carbohydrates, sugar, protein (boosts antioxidant levels and controls blood sugar) 

...and it is DELICIOUS!!!!  The dressing is amazing...I really like the addition of honey. I LOVE HONEY.  I actually use honey packets (when I have them) in place of energy gels on long runs thanks to a tip I read at Runner's World!  It's all natural and works just the same for me as GU. You should give it a try...but first...you gotta try that salad!


What's you favorite runner-friendly recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment